This plaza emerged as a result of “fuego chico” (tiny fire) in 1756. The group of scultures in honor of Simon Bolivar where installed during the centenary of the Amphictyonic Conference in 1926. One of the pieces, “The Architect of Nations”, is the work of the Spanish sculptor Mariano Benlliere. The second, “Father of American Liberty” is the work of the Panamanian engineer and artist Julio Poylo.
(source: Tejeira, E. and Spadafora, V., El Casco Antiguo de la Ciudad de Panama, CiudadCity Publishers, Spain)