There is something special about every season, but summer in Casco Viejo is without a doubt the most fun. Starting with the jazz fest and following with all small and big cultural events. Sunny days, wonderful ambiance…
Don´t get jealous…come down and join us!
Jazz Fest PanamaFifth Edition
Casco Viejo starts the season with one of Panama’s most important events: the Panama Jazz Festival. Usually held at the ends of January, this Fest is the brainchild of Panamanian musician Danilo Perez and is far more than just music: they host a number of music clinics, master classes, auditions and fellowships for local Panamanian students.
On this year´s Jazz Fest (Jan. 24th to 26th) we had a bunch of international artists mixing with Panamanian talent. Names like Stanley Jordan (the guy is truly unbelievable, check him out at ( www.stanleyjordan.com ), Catherine Russell (www.catherinerussell.net) , the Caribbean Jazz Project (www.dsamuels.com ), Tia Fuller Quartet and Kelly Johnson Quartet (www.kelleyjohnson.com ).Past festivals included fantastic voices like the sensual tones of Neena Freelon and many others.Every Fest starts with a Gala opening at the National Theatre at Casco Viejo and ends with a wonderful free open air concert at the main Plaza, right in front of the Cathedral. The best spot to enjoy the festival is at one of the apartments at the side of the plaza, but it is equally fun to take your camping seats and claim your space under the guayacanes. If you are considering to travel to Panama during January this event is a must. You can even stay in Casco Viejo, as long as you book ahead. There are choices for each budget, from backpackers to high end check out the last post at this email for some options. There is nothing like the Jazz Fest to experience Panama at its best.
Summer Art & Events Calendar… so far!
1. James Bond Film– Dates: right now! Quantum of Solace is being filmed right outside my balcony. The full James Bond crew will be in Casco still for a couple of weeks. The only drawback is that it is supposed to be Bolivia… well… can´t have it all!
2. Movies Under the Stars: from January 25th to the ends of February , the Alliance Francaise has organized a cycle of French movies at the colonial ruins of Arco Chato. Enjoy the breeze and movies with Gerard Depardiu for free.
3. Alexandre Saada and the Panama´s Latin Jazz band — February 19th at Plaza Herrera and Mano de Tigre. Free Concert.
4. Discantus: Organized also by the Alliance Francaise, and celebrating Women´s Day, a choir of seven women will sing a capella medieval sacred music at San Francisco de Asis Church at Plaza Bolivar.Quite appropiate! March 8th.
5. Slideluck Potshow Panama: this gastronomic audiovisual experience is a platform for artists to show their work in a familiar ambiance where friends gather and share their favorite recipies. Date:March 4th, 7 p.m. at Arco Chato. Free entrance… bring food and drinks! Check it out at: www.slideluckpotshow.com/panama.php
6. Contemporary Dance Company “Mulleras”: Date: May 17th, at National Theatre.
For more events and happenings go to our CascoViejoBlog here [http://cts.vresp.com/c/?ArcoProperties/2b8b2872bd/TEST/5590020536]2
New Café in town!
Café per Due inaugurated during Carnivals. Nice pizzas and great pastries on the corner of A Avenue and Calle 1era. Right beside it, “Sibaritas”, a new bar- lounge is gearing up to open at the ends of this month.
More cafés and restaurants in Casco Viejo? see the full directory here
Where to Stay at Casco
From Shaby to Chic
In Casco there is a bit for everyone. As long as you book in advance, you can either go “backpacking”, or rent a nice furnished apartments or go luxury style by renting either a suite or the entire house at the Canal House Panama, which is ideal for big groups of families travelling together (www.canalhousepanama).