Panama Casco Viejo
The Panama Jazz Fest is a wonderful event that gathers thousands of jazz lovers at the heart of Casco Viejo. Getting there through the 300 year old streets might seem like a challenge, but it is really not! with a bit of planning, you can be a happy jazz fest attendant. Here are our tips on how to do it:
1. Park at Multicentro or Cinta Costera 1: The organization will have a bus that will link Multicentro (in front of Paitilla) and people parking at Cinta. So don´t even struggle with your car, park comfortably there and take the bus. There will be several back and forth, until 10 p.m. If you park at the Cinta, then just come up walking! Only taxis, residents and cars with special stickers will be able to come in.
2. Seating area: if you like seating at the floor (like me), bring your matt. If not, a good idea is one of those chairs you can fold and fit in a bag.
3. Heat – Sun: there are plenty of areas around to sit, some with more shade than others. Bring your hat and sunblock!
4. Food and Beverage: bring water with you! I`m sure you`ll need it. Don´t worry too much about beer because the Plaza will be closed and they won´t allow you to get in with a cooler full of beers. There will be people selling drinks and street food inside. If you feel like taking a break and having a nice meal, there are several restaurants at the Casco (inside and outside Plaza Cathedral) that will be open with jazz offers for the day.
6. Public Bathrooms: there will be public bathrooms installed in the plaza, usually next to the Canal Museum. Take your own toilet paper!
7. Best time to arrive: The event will start around 1 p.m. and finish at 8 p.m. Anytime is a good time! If you really want a spot in front of the stage, then arrive early (12 ish) . If not, don´t worry, the music will invade the plaza wherever you are. What is great about this schedule is that it finishes relatively early so you can continue to enjoy Casco, “restaurant hopping”.
See you tomorrow!